Bismil Laahir Rahmaanir Raheem
Allamah Dr. Muhammad Kaukab Noorani Okarvi
Khateeb-e-Millat (The Orator of the Nation) Allamah Dr. Kaukab Noorani Okarvi is the son of Mujaddid-e-Maslak-e-Ahle-Sunnat (Reviver of the True Sunni Path) Khateeb-e-A’zam-Pakistan (the Greatest Orator of Pakistan) Hazrat Allaamah Maulana Haafiz Muhammad Shafee Okarvi (Rahmatul Laahi ‘Alaieh)who is the son of AlHaaj Shaiekh Miyaan Karam Ilaahi Naqshbandi (Rahmatul Laahi ‘Alaieh), who is the son of Shaiekh Allaah Ditta(Rahmatul Laahi ‘Alaieh), who is the son of Shaiekh Imaam ud Deen (Rahmatul Laahi ‘Alaieh )was born in the holy month of Muharram-ul-Haraam on 17 August 1957 at dawn Fajr prayers, in Sultan Mansion opposite Bolton Market in Karachi.
He is a steadfast and firm Sunni Hanafi (Barelvi).
His birth name given at the occasion of his aqeeqah (the sacrificial offering given after birth) was “Ahmad”, in poetic verse he has said his full name is:
Kaukab e Noorani Raa Ahmad Shafee’
“The beloved Holy Prophet (Sallal Laahu ‘Alaiehi Wa Sallam) is the intercessor of Kaukab Noorani”
Family: He belongs to the Shaiekh family of Yemen, who were traders and by the blessings of Hazrat Saiyyidinaa Aboo Bakr (Radiyal Laahu ‘Anhu) embraced Islaam. Some of his ancestors came to India for the purpose of trading and settled there. The elder pious men of his family were traders by occupation and were Sufi by nature.
He had eleven siblings of who the two eldest brothers passed away at a very young age, and later on a sister also passed away. Including him there are now three brothers and five sisters who are alive by the grace of Allaah Kareem.
Early Education: He spent his early childhood in Okara, Punjab and received his early religious and worldly education from Ashraf-ul-Madaaris High School and Jaami’ah Hanafia-Ashraf-ul-Madaris on G.T Road in Okara. At the age of eleven he memorized the Holy Qur’aan by heart (Hifz) from Maulana Qaari Muhammad Abdul Lateef Amjad Saeedi. He passed his matriculation from Government Boys Secondary School No.1, P.E.C.H Society in Karachi in 1971. In 1973, he completed his Intermediate from Government National College in Karachi, then did his further studies privately and then completed his PhD from abroad.
Religious Education: He received his religious education from Dar-ul-Uloom Hanafiyyah Ghausiyah in Karachi and Ashraf-ul-Madaaaris in Okara. Then completed his studies from the Jaamiyah Arbia Islaamia Anwaar-ul-Uloom in Multan. He studied Dars-e-Nizaami (religious course to the completion of Hadees and Tafseer) from his respected father Hazrat Allamah Muhammad Shafee Okarvi, Hazrat Shaiekh-ul-Islaam Maulana Ghulaam Alee Okarvi, Ghazaalee e Zamaan Hazrat Allamah Saiyyid Ahmad Saeed Kaazmi, the Great Scholar of Hijaaz Allaamah Saiyyid Muhammad ‘Aloowee Maalikee, highly accomplished scholar Mufti of Baghdad Mullaa Abdul Kareem Al Madaaris, Allaamah Zaid Abul Hasan Faarooqee Mujaddidee Dehlvi and Maulana Shaiekh Muhammad Alee Halbi Madni, each at different times.
Furthermore, from the renowned and respected scholars of Madinah Munawwarah, Damascus, Baghdad, Turkey and Delhi he received certificates for Hadees and Tafseer and permissions.
Preference towards Poetry, Literature and Calligraphy: He took guidance in Urdu and Persian poetry and literature from Saiyyid Muhammad Qaa’im Afsar Allahbaadi, Janaab Iqtidaar Ahmad Akbar Hyderabaadi, Janaab Soofi Ghulaam Mustafaa Tabassum, Janaab Col. Muhammad Khan and Janaab Shakeel Aadilzaadah.
During the time of school and college, Dr. Allamah Kaukab Noorani Okarvi participated and won many prizes in the numerous debates, Qiraa’at (recitation of the Holy Qur’aan) and recitation of Na’at (Praise of the Beloved Holy Prophet (Sallal Laahu ‘Alaiehi Wa Sallam)) and developed a deep attachment towards poetry and literature. He was the president of the Literary Society in school, and was also the editor of his school’s monthly literary magazine.
In the art of calligraphy he received direction from Maulana Qaari Muhammad Tufaiel Amritsari and Haafiz Muhammad Yoosuf Sadeedee who was known as the Calligrapher of Islaam.
When he was a student, he formed an organization called Bazm-e-Shaheen-e-Pakistan for students and youngsters whose purpose was to promote education, help needy students, and arrange Qiraa’at, Na’at and speech competitions, and to celebrate important Islaamic occasions.
Baie’at and Khilaafat: In 1964, he took baie’at* on the blessed hand of Greatest Saint of his time (Ghaus-e-Zamaan), Treasure of Graciousness (Ganj-e-Karam) Hazrat Peer Saiyyid Muhammad Ismaaiel Shaah Bukhaari known as, Hazrat KarmanWaalay (Rahmatul Laahi ‘Alaiehi) in the way of the Naqshbandi Spiritual Chain.
Later he took baie’at-e-tabbarruk** on Ghazaali-e-Zamaan Hazrat Allamah Saiyyid Ahmad Saeed Kaazimee and from Peer Saiyyid Taahir ‘Alaa-ud-Deen Gilaani who is from the family of Ghaus e A’zam (Radiyal Laahu ‘Auhu).
He has been given permission and successions in all chains of religious and spiritual ordinance from nineteen respected holy masters of Arabs and non-Arabs.
*baie’at: The act of pledging allegiance and obedience; initiation as a disciple of a saint or religious guide; Oath of allegiance for seeking guidance
**baie’at-e-tabbarruk**: Oath of allegiance for seeking blessing
His disciples are numerous and spread all over the world. In the wars of 1965 and 1971 between India and Pakistan he participated with the Scouts and in Civil Defense.
In the Khatm-e-Nabuwwat Movement of 1974 and the Nizaam-e-Mustafaa Movement of 1977 Allaamah Kaukab Noorani Okarvi worked shoulder to shoulder with his respected father.
Since 1967 he has been broadcasted from Radio Pakistan, and from 1969 from Pakistan Television. He has appeared in fifty channels worldwide, and in more than two thousand televised programs.
Established Orator: While in university, he intended to become a teacher and lecturer, but his father wanted him to follow his footsteps and become a orator and aadeeb (teacher of refined manners). Therefore initially working alongside and then from 1984, after the passing of his respected father Hazrat Allaamah Maulana Muhammad Shafee Okarvi (Rahmatul Laahi ‘Alaiehi), he formally started giving speeches and lectures regularly and also began the Imaamat and giving of Friday sermons at Jaame Masjid Gulzaar-e-Habeeb (Soldier Bazaar) in Karachi that continues to this day. Before this he had been doing mostly written work.
Since 1984, he is the lifetime chairman of Gulzaar-e-Habib Trust, and under his supervision, the construction of Jaame Masjid Gulzaar-e-Habeeb, Jaami’ah Islaamiyah Gulzaar e Habeeb, Masjid Noor-e-Habeeb and Masjid Nazeeriyah is underway.
Prominent Endeavors: On 24 April 1984 he established the Maulana Okarvi Academy (Al-Aalami) and he is its founder and chairman. He is also the founder of the organizations named Sawaad-e-A’zam-Ahle-Sunnat-Haqeeqi and the International Sunni Movement, and he is also the trustee of Masjid Ghausiyah Trust P.E.C.H.S Karachi.
These organizations are non-political, and he established them purely for the purpose of the propagation and education of true religion of Islaam and Sunni path, and for charity and social welfare. These organizations have branches all over the world and are working remarkably and evidently. Besides these, there are numerous deeds of continuous charity.
For the past 35 years on the auspicious occasion of Eid Meelaad-un-Nabee (Sallal Laahu ‘Alaiehi Wa Sallam), he started the series of designing and distributing a beautiful card, that every year has a new essay which is enjoyed by all.
There are two Islaamic book publishing institutes namely Karmaan Waala Publishers and Noorani Kutub Khaana are also operating under his supervision.
International Tours: In 1996 he formed Jamaa’at-e-Ahle-Sunnat in America. In some countries he formed the first religious schools (Madaaris).
He attended many government and non-government conferences within the country, and international conferences abroad. And on five continents, he has done preaching tours in more than 52 countries. From these, selected counties are: Saudi Arabia (Hijaz-e-Muqqadas i.e. the western region including the holy cities of Makkah and Madinah) Syria, Jordan, Iraq, Egypt, Turkey, United Arab Emirates (U.A.E), Kingdom of Oman, Kenya, Zimbabwe, Malawi, Re-Union, Lesotho, South Africa, Botswana, Bophuthatswana, Mozambique, Swaziland, United Kingdom, Mauritius, France, India, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, USA and Australia.
Where he traveled frequently, he has until now converted more than three hundred of non-Muslims to Islaam. He has been ardently working to spread and propagate the path of truth, Ahle Sunnat Wa Jamaa’at, and also for the correction of beliefs, acts,and practices of people around the world.
He teaches selectively part time, but most of his interest is in research, literary composition and oratory. And till now he has given more than seven thousand speeches in public gatherings across the country and abroad.
He knows several different languages which include Urdu, Punjabi, Arabic, Persian and English. And in his personal library there are more than forty thousand books in these languages.
He is also doing the English translation of the Holy Qur’aan.
Books and Publications: He has written many books in Urdu and English, his first book was published in 1988. The titles of his books are as follows:
- Azaan aur Durood Shareef
- Deoband say Bareilly(Facts)
- Islaam Kee Pehlee Eid (Eid Meelaad un Nabee Sallal Laahu ‘Alaiehi Wa Sallam)
- Safed o Siyaah(From Johannesburg to Bareilly – Answers to booklets)
- Mas’alah e Imaamat
- Peejee Sarkaar Karmaan waalay (His life, biography,observations and opinions)
- Khatm Shareef Hazrat Daataa Ganj Bakhsh(Radiyal Laahu ‘Anhu)
- Khomeini (Some Facts)
- Truth Wins
- Shajarah Taieyyibah
- Haqaa’iq (Answers to the contradictions of non-conformists Wahaabi, Salaafi booklets)
- Auraad e Mashaa’ikh (Collection of supplications and daily worships)
- Mazaraat Wa Tabarukaat aur un kay Fuyoozaat
- Khateeb-e-Pakistan, in the eyes of the people of his time
- Waalidaien e Risaalat Ma’aab
- Qabr kay Ahkaam wa Aadaab
- Biyaad Shaiekul Islaam
- Haqaa’iq Naamah Darul Uloom Deoband
- Na’at aur Aadaab e Na’at
- Kalaam-e-A’laa Hazrat Tarjumaan-e-Haqeeqat
- Dehshatgardee aur Islaam
- Teen Tehreerayn
- Maa Jee Qiblah Ki Yaad Mein
- Kitaabi Silsilah, Al Khateeb (International Sunni Directory)
- Annual publication of a memorable magazine on the occasion of his beloved father’s Urs Shareef.
Drafts of books are as follows:
- Mayraa Deen (Information about basic, important beliefs of Islaam)
- Maqaalaat e Kaukab(Collection of different writings on different topics)
- Bid’at kee Haqeeqat
- Apnee Adaa Dekh (Documentary with proofs of pictures and writings of opponents contradictory words and actions)
- Ahkaam e Nabawi Sallal Laahu ‘Alaiehi Wa Sallam aur hamaari zindagi
- Baarah Maheenay kay Nayk A’maal(Names of Holy months, their benefits, important days and details of actions)
- Qaadiyaani Dajjaal
- Asmaa e Atfaal (How to name children and name lists)
Besides these his countless writings like
- Views, opinions and reviews
- Research articles, critics’ views, thesis and discourses have been published in many books, newspapers, magazines, and book series worldwide.
And numerous writings of his have been published in:
- Monthly “As Saeed” of Multan, Pakistan
- Monthly “Raza e Mustafaa Sallal Laahu ‘Alaiehi Wa Sallam” of Gujranwala, Pakistan
- Monthly “Qutb e Madinah” of Karachi, Pakistan
- Newspaper “Akhbaar e Ahle Sunnat” of Lahore, Pakistan
- Nidaa e Ahl-e-Sunnat of Lahore, Pakistan
- Kitaabi Silsilah “Naat Rang” of Karachi, Pakistan
- Monthly “Fanoon” of Lahore, Pakistan
- Monthly “Jahan e Razaa” of Lahore, Pakistan
- Monthly “Noor ul Habeeb”of Baseerpur, District Okara, Pakistan
- Monthly “ Qaulus Sadeed”of Lahore, Pakistan
- Monthly “Aaiena”of Lahore, Pakistan
- Weekly “Deen”of Karachi, Pakistan
- Daily newspaper “Jang” of Karachi, Lahore and London, Pakistan – UK
- Daily newspaper “Ziyaa e Haram”of Lahore, Pakistan
- Quarterly “Afkaar e Raza”of Mumbai, India
- Monthly “Jaam-e-Noor” of Dehli, India
- Monthly “Kanzul-Ieemaan” of Dehli, India
- Monthly “Silsilah”of Karachi, Pakistan
- Monthly “Kanzul Imaan” of Lahore, Pakistan
- Daily newspaper “NawaiWaqt” of Karachi and Lahore, Pakistan
- Daily newspaper “Mashriq” of Karachi, Pakistan
- Daily newspaper “Aman” of Karachi, Pakistan
- Saut ul Islam of Laudium, South Africa
- Monthly “Sunni Tarjumaan” of Karachi, Pakistan
- Weekly “Zarb e Islam”of Karachi, Pakistan
- Weekly “Aqeedah” of Karachi, Pakistan
- Quarterly “Al Misdaaq” of Hyderabad, Pakistan
- Magazine “Al Taiyyab”of Bangladesh
- Monthly “Tarjumaan”of Bangladesh
- Monthly “Mehboob” of Lahore, Pakistan
- Monthly “Subrang Digest” of Karachi, Pakistan
- Monthly “Astaanah” of Karachi, Pakistan
- Muslim Digest of South Africa
- Muslim Times of Mumbai, India
- Monthly “Rayyaz-ul-Ilm” of Attock, Pakistan
- Daily “Millat Gujraati” of Karachi, Pakistan
- Monthly “Jahan e Chisht”of Karachi, Pakistan
- Quarterly “Ganj e Karam”of Lahore, Pakistan
- Weekly “Akhbaar e Jahaan”of Karachi, Pakistan
- Daily “Jam e Irfan” of Hazaaraa, Pakistan
- Daily “Huriyat” of Karachi, Pakistan
- Monthly Pak Asia of Karachi, Pakistan
- Monthly “Al-Mazhar” of Karachi, Pakistan
- Monthly “Alaa Hazrat” of Bareilly, India
- Daily “Inqilaab” of Mumbai, India
- Quarterly “Sunni Daawat-e-Islaami” of Mumbai, India
- Quarterly “Raza Book Review” of Patna, India
- Quarterly “Maslak” of Mumbai, India
- Quarterly “Aayaat” of Houston, USA
- Pakistan News of New York, USA
- Sunday Times Extra of Durban, South Africa
- Monthly “Aqeedat” of Hyderabad, Pakistan
- Naazneen Digest of Karachi, Pakistan
- Pakistan Post of New York, USA
- Magazine “Yaadgaar e Razaa of Raza” Academy Mumbai, India
- Yearly Magazine “Rafeeq e ‘Ilm” – Darul ul Amjadia, Karachi (Pakistan)
- Daily News The Leader, Durban (South Africa)
- Daily Impact News, (Mauritius)
- “Bachon ki Dunyaa” of Lahore, Pakistan
- Monthly “Karwaan e Qamar “of Karachi, Pakistan
- Daily Pakistan of Lahore, Pakistan
One of his revolutionary achievements is the Video CD titles as “Aakhir ikhtilaaf kyun”(Why the Differences?). Which is very popular throughout the world, and for the correction of beliefs of millions of people, it has proved to be very beneficial. Besides these are the details of his extremely remarkable work and services.