Mujad-did-e-Maslak-e-Ahl-e-Sunnat, ‘Aashiq-e-Rasool, Khateeb-e-A’zam Pakistan, Reviver of the True Sunni path, Passionate Lover of the Beloved Holy Prophet (Sallal Laahu ‘Alaiehi Wa Sallam), The Greatest Orator of Pakistan
HAZRAT MAULANA MUHAMMAD SHAFEE OKARVI
Rahmatul Laahi ‘Alaieh (May Allaah have mercy on him)
A Brief Outline of his Biography
(Maulana Haafiz) Muhammad Shafee Okarvi
Name of Father:
Haaji Shaiekh Karam Ilaahi son of Shaiekh Allaah Dittaa son of Shaiekh Imaam-ud-deen(May Allaah have mercy on them) who belonged to a respectable business family of Punjab.
Date of Birth:
February 2, 1930 (2 Ramadaan ul Mubaarak 1348 A.H)
Place of Birth:
Khem Karan, East Punjab (India).
Discipleship and Allegiance:
Shaiekh-ul-Mashaaikh Hazrat Peer Miyaan Ghulaam-ul-laah Saahib Sharq Puri (May Allaah have mercy on him) known as Saani Saahib Qiblah, younger brother Shayr-e-Rabbaani A’laa Hazrat Miyaan Shayr Muhammad Saahib Sharq Puri (May Allaah have mercy on him) (Silsilah Aaliyah Naqsh Bandiyah Mujadi-di-yah).
Hazrat Miyaan Shayr Muhammad Saahib Sharq Puri (May Allaah have mercy on him) had given the good news to Haaji Miyaan Karam Ilaahi about the Maulana’s excellences and perfection before his birth. His parents had also viewed and mentioned auspicious dreams.
Some particulars and services:
In early days of receiving education along with his Peer-o- Murshid Hazrat Saani Saahib Sharq Puri and other Scholars of Ahle Sunnat he participated with full zeal in the Movement of Pakistan and remained active in it till the partition of India.
• In 1947 after migrating from India he came to Okara and with his father built Masjid Ghausiyah in the town Okara. He also established Jaami’ah Hanafiyah Ashraf-ul-Madaaris on G.T. road (Grand Trunk Road) and remained as its mentor and one of the founders.
• The honourable Maulana received religious education and on completion was awarded certificates for the courses of Dars-e-Nizaami and Hadees-o-Tafseer from Shaiekh-ul- Hadees Wat-Tafseer, Hazrat Shaiekh-ul-Qur’aan Allamah Maulana Ghulaam Ali Saahib Ashrafi Okarvi and Shaiekh ul Hadees Wat-Tafseer Ghazaali-e-Dauraan Hazrat Allamah Maulana Saiyyid Ahmad Sa’eed Saahib Kaazimi, of Madrissah Arabiyah Islaamiyah Anwaar-ul-Uloom, Multan.
• The honourable Maulana started addressing Friday prayer at Jaame Masjid Muhaajireen, Montgomery, (Sahiwal), which attracted very large crowds and he remained as the head of the Islaamiyaat Section at Birla High School, Okara.
• 1952-53 the honourable Maulana took active part in the Tahreek-e-Khatm-e-Nubuwwat (Finality of Prophethood Movement) only for the respect and sovereignty of Saiyyid-ul-‘Aalameen (the Master of the Universes), Khatmi-e-Martabat (the Last Prophet) (Sallal Laahu ‘Alaiehi Wa Sallam). He was an influential person of District Montgomery (Sahiwal) and Punjab. The Government arrested him for his participation against the Qaadiyaani Movement. He remained in Montgomery prison for 10 months. During this period of imprisonment both of his sons Muneer Ahmad, 3 years old and Tanveer Ahmad 15 months, died within a week. They were his first two sons. Due to their death his family conditions were very distressed. Some influential people met the Deputy Commissioner of Montgomery and made recommendations for him. The Deputy Commissioner visited the prison, met the imprisoned people and called the honourable Maulana especially in privacy and told him:
“Due to the sudden death of your children the conditions of your family are not good. I have received many recommendations for you. You sign the letter of apology; our apology letter will be kept hidden from the public and only today you will be released.”
The honourable Maulana replied;
“I have worked for the respect and honour of the holy Prophet (Sallal Laahu ‘Alaiehi Wa Sallam)and it is my belief that the holy Prophet Saiyyidinaa Muhammad(Sallal Laahu ‘Alaiehi Wa Sallam)is the Last Prophet of Allaah Ta’aalaa, therefore; the question of asking for apology does not even arise. The children have passed away; even if my life is also taken away I will still remain steadfast on my belief and will not ask for any apology.”
On this reply the Government became very furious, and more hardships were given to him. Therefore under Section 3, he was kept in lockup. There were more restrictions and strictness, even on visitations etc. Till the end he tolerated all the troubles with patience and steadfastness.
• During his stay in Okara, the honourable Maulana always prominently participated in holy, religious, national, and social welfare activities.
• In 1955 due to immense persistence of the religious circle of Karachi, he came to Karachi. And in 1956 he became the Khateeb and Imaam of the biggest central masjid of Karachi, Memon Masjid (Bolton Market) Karachi. And till the end, all day and night with heart and soul he remained busy in the preaching of Deen and the Sunni Path.
• After the Imaamat and Khitaabat of Memon Masjid, he performed honourary obligations of Khitaabat and kept leading the Friday prayers for nearly three years at Jaame Masjid Eidgah Maidaan, for two years and four months at Jaame Masjid Aaram Bagh and for twelve years at Noor Masjid near Jubilee Cinema. There would always be an enormous crowd in each place. In all these masaajid he kept giving the Dars (explaining) on the Tafseer-e-Qur’aan in order and narrated the explanation of nine Quraanic Parts over a period of 29 years.
• During these days in 1964 he built Masjid Ghausiyah. With the affiliation of Masjid Ghausiyah Trust in P.E.C.H.S Society he established a religious education school with the name of Daar-ul-‘Uloom Hanfiyah Ghausiyah. (He was also the Founding Chairman of this school.) Al Hamdu Lil laah after receiving religious education from here many students are preaching the religion and the true Sunni path all around the world.
• In 1972 the honourable Maulana laid the foundation stone for the construction of a Masjid in Doli Khata, Gulistan-e-Okarvi (Soldier Bazaar), Karachi on a piece of land which was reserved for a masjid for the last 100 years and started honourary Khitaabat. Established its trust, by the name of Gulzar-e-Habeeb (Sallal Laahu ‘Alaiehi Wa Sallam) Trust. The honourable Maulana was its founder and the president. Under the management of this trust, Jaame Masjid-e-Gulzar-e-Habeeb and Jaami’ah Islaamiyah Gulzar-e-Habeeb are under construction. In the side of this Masjid is the Mazaar Shareef (holy grave) of the Honourable Maulana which is a Marja-e-Khalaaiq (the holy place of spiritual asylum for all).
• Every night regularly for forty years, the honourable Maulana addressed religious gatherings. His academic qualification, beauty of describing, melodiousness and quality of oration were very unique and therefore; was loved by every heart. The honourable Maulana found a home in the heart of every listener. In every congregation there would be a gathering of hundreds of thousands of people. In the month of Muharram-ul-Haraam the largest religious gathering in the country on the eve of Shab-e-‘Aashuur (10th night of Muharram) would be the congregation of oration by the honourable Maulana. There is hardly any area in Pakistan where the honourable Maulana had not satisfied hearts and souls with his oration.
• For the preaching of religion and the true Sunni path, the honourable Maulana traveled to Far East, Middle East, India, Palestine, South Africa, Mauritius and many other countries around the World. Till 1980 only in South Africa, 100,000 cassettes of Maulana’s speeches were sold. The quantity of sold cassettes in other countries is also not small. And now the video cassettes of his speeches are also widely distributed.
• The honourable Maulana Okarvi is the author of many books which are based on his oceanic knowledge, academic research work and religious intelligence on the love of the holy Prophet (Sallal Laahu ‘Alaiehi Wa Sallam). These are seen in religious circles with great respect. Each book is still printed in millions and is still very popular. These are their names:
2. Zikr-e-Haseen (2-Vols)
7. Imaam-e-Paak aur Yazeed Paleed
8. Barakaat-e-Meelaad Shareef
11. Safeena-e-Nooh (2 Vols)
12. Musalmaan Khaatoon
16. Mas’alah-e-Siyaah Khizaab
17. Angoothay Choomnay ka Mas’alah
18. Akhlaaq-o-‘A’maal (broadcasted speeches)
19. Ta‘aaruf ‘Ulama-e-Deoband
23. Nujuumool Hidaayat*
24. Mas’alah-e-Bees (20) Taraveeh*
And many other booklets and magazines on different topics.
• On 16th October 1962, in the area of Khadda Market in Karachi, under a conspiracy due to conflicting beliefs some people, merely being the victims of prejudice, attempted a brutal assassination attack on the honourable Maulana Okarvi with knives and daggers during his speech, due to which he received very serious wounds on his neck, shoulders, head and back. After two days in Civil Hospital Karachi, while giving his statement to the police officer the honourable Maulana said,
“I have no personal grudge with anyone. Nor I am a criminal. If I did any crime it is only this that I preach the religion of Islam and do praise and glorification of Saiyyid-ul-‘Aalameen(Master of all the Universes), Muhsin-e-Insaaniyat (the Benefactor of Humanity), Huzoor Rahmat-ul-lil Aalameen (Mercy of the Universes) (Sallal Laahu ‘Alaiehi Wa Sallam). I do not want to take any revenge from anyone and nor do I want to do any thing against the attackers. My blood has been shed unnecessarily. My Allaah, Rabb-e-Kareem accepts this and makes this mediation for my salvation. I forgive the attackers. Whereas for establishing peace you people do what is appropriate so that this kind of incident does not take place again.”
He did not appoint any lawyer for this case, nor did he follow any hearings. Only as a witness he gave his statement. It was only a miracle that his life was saved during this attack. The next morning on 17 October in Karachi, the first edition of English newspaper the “Daily news” started publishing. Its big headline was about the news of the assassination attempt on him. The honourable Maulana stayed under treatment in the hospital for two and a half month and after coming out of the hospital again got busy in preaching religion. There was severe protest in the country against this assassination attempt.
• In 1965, during the war of India and Pakistan, the honourable Maulana guided the nation in the whole country for the zeal and passion of holy war. He gave thousands of rupees in the National saving fund and collected in his congregations of speeches provision worth millions of rupees which were in the form of clothes and items for personal use. And with thousands of rupees in cash along with a group of ‘Ulama-e-Kiraam (religious scholars) went to Azad Kashmir and Occupied Kashmir in the camps etc of the oppressed muhajireen (refugees) and distributed them with his own hands.
• The honourable Maulana went to twenty two different places of Azad Kashmir and Sailkot, Chhumb Joriyan, Lahore, Wagha and Khem Karan and on many refugees camp and among the holy soldiers gave zealous speeches on the topic of the importance of Jihaad Fi Sabeelil Laah (holy war in the way of Allaah), on the excellence and glory of the mujaahid(holy warrior).
• The honourable Maulana was the founder of the Central Jamaa’at-e-Ahle-Sunnat, Pakistan, which he established in 1956 in Karachi.
• In 1970 the honourable Maulana contested as a candidate for the member of National Assembly’s Seat from Karachi’s biggest constituency. He took part in the election against the sudden incursion of Socialism and was elected the member of the National Assembly.
• From the establishment of Pakistan till the end of his life the honourable Maulana did a prosperous demonstration of a trustworthy, patriotic and a sincere Pakistani. His personality especially in the country and generally all over the world remained dearly loved, privileged, renowned and outstanding.
• The honourable Maulana was the Leader of the Movement of Nifaaz-e-Nizaam-e-Mustafaa (Sallal Laahu ‘Alaiehi Wa Sallam) (Establishment of the Religion of the Prophet i.e. Islaam). Whatever status and prestige this Movement has attained today, in it his services and good efforts remain as the important foundation and position.
• The honourable Maulana was nominated as the dignified member of the Majlis-e-Shoora (Federal Council of Pakistan) established by the President of the Country General Muhammad Zia-ul-Haque. And accomplished prominent actions for the order, organization and issuing of the Islaamic laws. Beside this he remained as a Member of the Standing committee established by the Ministry of Religious affairs. Few months before his departure from this mortal world he remained Superior administrator of the Federal Department of Auqaf, Pakistan and a member of University Grants Commission.
• The honourable Maulana remained a founding member of the National Seerat Committee of the Government of Pakistan. He accomplished outstanding services in the whole country for Ittihaad-e-Bainal Muslimeen (Unity among the Muslims), National Saving Funds, Afghan refugees, the flood and earthquakes afflicted and always kept taking part extensively and increasingly for the help of the people affected by every catastrophic disaster.
• The honourable Maulana suggested the name of Karachi’s area “Golimar” as “Gul Bahaar” and “Ram Bagh” as “Aaraam Bagh,” which was accepted and applauded.
• In the era of General Zia ul Haque the honourable Maulana requested the Deputy Martial Law Administrator to provide transport to Karachi Police for the first time. This got the acceptance for the supply of “vehicle” (Suzuki pick up) for the patrolling of Karachi Police and for the combating of crime for rapid response.
• The honourable Maulana was blessed sixteen times with the auspiciousness of the journey of Hajj, Ziyaarat and‘Umrah.
• In 1974 for the first time the honourable Maulana had the complain of heart attack but he did not reduce his proceedings of preaching and organizing services instead with even more passion and zeal kept raising the slogans of truth all around the world.
• In the city of Karachi on behalf of ‘Ahle Sunnat Wa Jamaa’at the honourable Maulana started the 10 daysMajaalis-e-Muharram and the series of organizing congregations and processions of Jashan-e-Eid Meelaad-un-Nabee (Sallal Laahu ‘Alaiehi Wa Sallam).
• More than 3000 people converted to Islaam on the hands of the honourable Maulana. And the beliefs and actions of hundreds of thousands of people have been corrected.
• The honourable Maulana (May Allaah have mercy on him) in all the Salaasil-e-Tareeqat (all chains of the spiritual doctrine) had the ijaazat (permission) and received khilaafat(caliphate) from many great holy personalities. His mureeds (disciples) are found in quantity of thousands around the World.
• The honourable Maulana established in South Africa, Anjuman Ahle Sunnat Wa Jamaa’at.
• The honourable Maulana established in Pakistan Sunni Tableeghi Mission, Anjuman-e-Muhibbaan-e-Sahaabah Wa Ahle-Baiet, Tanzeem A’immah Wa Khutaba Masaajid-e-Ahle Sunnat and many other organizations.
• In 38 years the honourable Maulana Khateeb-e- A’zam Pakistan (Greatest Orator of Pakistan) gave more than 18,000 speeches on hundreds of topics, till now which is a world record. (This counting is only of the huge gatherings. The actual figure for lectures is higher.)
• In 1975 during a journey, for the second time the honourable Maulana had a heart attack and in the same condition came to Karachi and stayed in the hospital under treatment for six weeks.
• In 1983 the honourable Maulana visited India; this was his last tour out of the Country. He visited Bombay, Ajmer, Delhi and Bareilly Shareef in this tour.
• In March 1984 the honourable Maulana went to Sharq Pur Shareef, visited the shrine of his Peer-o-Murshid. This also proved to be his last visit.
• On 20 April 1984 he made his last speech at the congregation of Jum’ah prayer at Jaame Masjid Gulzar-e- Habeeb, (Sallal Laahu ‘Alaiehi Wa Sallam). On the same evening the honourable Maulana had a severe heart attack for the 3rd time and was admitted in the National Institute of Cardio Vascular Disease. After three days, in the morning after the ‘Azaan of Fajr while reading durood o salaam (peace and salutation) on his beloved holy Prophet(Sallal Laahu ‘Alaiehi Wa Sallam), on Tuesday, 21 Rajab-ul- Muraj-jab 1404 A.H, i.e. 24 April 1984 at the age of 55, he went to meet the True Creator.
(To Allaah we belong and to Him we return)
- On25 April, at Nishtar Park, Karachi, in theImaamat of Allamah Saiyyid Ahmad Sa’eed Kaazimi after the prayer of Zuhr millions of people attended the namaaz-e-janaazah(funeral prayer) of the honourable Hazrat Khateeb-e-A’zam Pakistan and said last farewell to this true lover of holy Prophet Taaj Daar-e-Madinah (Emperor of Madinah) (Sallal Laahu ‘Alaiehi Wa Sallam) with immense love and respect.
Ze Dunyaa Biraftah Ba Shaan-e-Rafee
“Muhammad Shafee’ash Muhammad Shafee”
(From this mortal world he departed with high respect
Muhammad (Sallal Laahu ‘Alaiehi Wa Sallam) be the intercessor of Muhammad Shafee)
On the same evening the honourable Maulana (May Allaah have mercy on him) was laid to rest in the vicinity of Masjid Gulzar-e-Habeeb, Karachi.
• To extend and expand the marvelous memories and memorable noble services of the honourable Maulana for religion, Muslim Ummah, the country and for humanity, on Friday, 27 April 1984 the Maulana Okarvi Academy (Al–A’lami) was established, which by the grace of Almighty Allaah Kareem is well entrenched and its work is widely recognized throughout the world.
• On every 3rd Friday of the holy month of Rajab, in all the Sunni Masaajid of the
world “Annual Khateeb-e-A’zam Day” is celebrated and in congregations rewards are collectively forwarded (Ieesaal-e-Sawaab) to the blessed soul of the honourable Maulana.
And every year on the occasion of Urs mubaarak a memorable magazine Al Khateeb is published by the Maulana Okarvi Academy (Al-A’lami).
“Rahmatul Laahi Ta’aalaa Alaiehi Daayiman Abadan”
(Allaah have mercy on him ever and ever)
Aashiq-e-Mustafaa hayn Muhammad Shafee
(Passionate devotee of the (holy Prophet) Mustafaa (Sallal Laahu ‘Alaiehi Wa Sallam) is Muhammad Shafee)
Dilbar-e-Auliyaa hayn Muhammad Shafee
(True Beloved of the Friends of Allaah (Auliyaa) is Muhammad Shafee)
Rahbar-o-Rahnumaa hayn Muhammad Shafee
(Illustrious Leader and Pioneer is Muhammad Shafee)
Hai Yaqeen aap kay hayn Muhammad Shafee
(Certainly the holy Prophet Muhammad (Sallal Laahu ‘Alaiehi Wa Sallam) is your intercessor)
Haadiye Ahl-e-Sunnat peh laakhon salaam
(Millions of Salutations on the Most Distinguished Guide of Sunnah)